The mouthwash industry is HUGE business. In fact, it's a 1.4 billion dollar a year industry and that's not including toothpaste. You are probably familiar with the "blue" bottle of mouthwash currently on the shelves today. People tend to disassociate their mouths from the rest of their bodies which is a major mistake. Your mouth has a direct link to your heart. That's why if you put a nitroglycerin table in your mouth it bypasses your GI tract and goes directly to your heart. What long term effects do you think occur when using products daily that are directly linked to cancer? The blue stuff contains alcohol as the base. Alcohol has been linked to both throat and mouth cancer. Also, it contains coal tar dyes that are banned in other countries but allowed here. Methly Salicylate (according to the MSDS) is not only VERY hazardous if ingested but also irritating (slightly hazardous) to the skin. Click here to review Methly Salicylate as stated in section 3 that "repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage." And one teaspoon in its pure form would kill you.
Another doozie of an ingredient that people should avoid at ALL cost, especially women, is Poloxamer 407. Here's the MSDS sheet on this lovely little chemical. Click here to review "Poloxamer 407" Look under the toxicology section. Here's a link to the Ethylene Oxide and here is the link for 1,4-Dioxane. So you say that it only contains a "trace" of these toxic ingredients. My question to you would be this, would you eat ice cream if I put a "trace" amount of poop in it? I mean, come on! It's just a trace, right? These ingredients are toxic and stated carcinogenic so why put them in the most vascular part of your body?
Some of the ingredients on mouthwash bottles are extremely difficult to pronounce such as Cetylpyridinium chloride or CPC. This gem is found in pesticide! Can you believe that? Here's the link to its MSDS sheet on Cetylpyridinium chloride. Look under section 11, it says "toxic to lungs and mucous membranes." So let me get this straight, CPC is one of the MAIN ingredients in a VERY popular mouthwash today yet it's TOXIC to mucous membranes. Hmmmm....isn't our mouth lined with mucous membranes?!! That's a resounding YES!
Sodium saccharin is a very common ingredient in many mouthwashes along with fluoride. I've discussed fluoride in my previous blogs so hopefully you understand the toxicity of that substance. Sodium saccharin is a known carcinogen and is in artificial sweeteners.
Many people are becoming aware of parabens in products. Methylparaben is commonly used in mouthwashes, facial creams, shampoos, conditioners, ect. as well as propylparaben. Here's the MSDS sheet on methylparaben; check out section 11, it says that it has "acute oral toxicity" in animals yet it's not listed for humans. I don't know about you...but do you really want to be swishing this crap around in your mouth? That's why I call commercial mouthwashes "CANCER IN A BOTTLE!" You have to be careful even in your so called, natural mouthwashes because I went to my local health food store and looked at every single bottle that was on the shelf. I was shocked that so many of them had harmful or toxic ingredients in them. Yes, even Poloxamer 407. SSM contains NO emulsifiers, NO stablizers, NOTHING harmful or toxic in any way, shape or form. Why subject your loved ones to daily poison when there is a healthy alternative out there such as Simply Silver Mouthwash....remember Simply Silver...simply smile!